The building was commissioned by William, 1st Earl of Lonsdale in 1806. It was designed by the architect Robert Smirke, who later was responsible for many great civic buildings in London including the British Museum.
While the castle enjoyed a glorious Victorian heyday, it was not to last
Edwardian extravagance, war-time requisition and death duties brought the family finances to their knees and James Lonsdale, the 7th Earl, removed the castle roof. That was in 1957. Sixty years later, Lowther Castle is enjoying a new chapter as one of the Lake District’s most dynamic and unusual visitor attractions. For prices and location, follow this link.